Our Country Kids

Our Country Kids
Our Three Blessings

Friday, March 9, 2012

"I stand corrected!"

Isn't it so hard to admit when we are wrong? I recently had a situation happen where I had my motives questioned and it was a very hurtful time. In the same way, I know that I myself often question people's motives, what drives them to act and behave as they do. That is judgement, pure and simple, and we all do it at one time or another, some even camp out there and stay a while. Lord I pray I never become one of those people! I've been studying the book of James for about 6 weeks now. I am proud to be part of a church that reaches out to the community: we have over 200 women from 30 different churches doing this Beth Moore study, "Mercy Triumphs" together. This study can cut you right to the core. Good ole James, brother of Jesus (half brother, technically) does NOT mince words, he tells it like it is! I really appreciate that about him, even when it hurts! Right off the bat, James says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." Wow. I know when I go through trials, the last thing I want to do is count it as joy, but that is exactly what God's word says we should do. There have been many trials I've faced, many that have been condensed into one very stressful year. Count it as joy, well I'm working on that one--daily.
I love that I can stay home with the boys now, even on the days that we have when nothing seems to go right. I love that they are getting to spend more time working on their relationship with one another, and I get more time to mother them. We have great conversations, too. Whether it is while we are doing schoolwork, or loading in the car to go to Costco, we have ongoing dialogue with each other all day long. Yesterday, Stephen asked me "What does 'stand corrected' mean momma?" Of course I had to think of how to best explain that in 5 year old terms, so I said, "Well, it means that someone might tell you something and you don't really believe them. Then later, you find out that they were right. Then you can say to them, 'I stand corrected', and it's like saying you were wrong." Of course in my mind I'm thinking, "Where in the world did he hear that? TV, I guess?" Anyway, he asked again later and I said pretty much the same thing again, I suppose he wanted a clear understanding for some reason. I do love his inquisitive nature! I went out to dinner with my adoptive mom's group last night and the boys were still up when I got home (very late!). Scott told me how he couldn't believe what Stephen had said. They were watching Wipeout, and Stephen said that no one would make it over the balls. Somehow, one contestant made it without falling off...to which Stephen replied, "I stand corrected!". Oh how gracious God is to allow us to see that the time we spend with our children is not wasted, that they learn so much from us through simple conversations. My prayer is that I will be that kind of person that will be quick to admit when I am wrong and say, "I stand corrected!"

2 comments:

Tabitha said...

It always makes me proud when I see proof that my girls are actually listening!

Joy for the Seasons said...

Love this, all of it. Thanks for sharing, sweet friend!