Our Country Kids

Our Country Kids
Our Three Blessings

Friday, March 23, 2012

Casa de Dobbins--Springtime fun!

Way back in 1994 when we built our house, we were SO excited to move out of a neighborhood and out to into the country. My parents' house is just 7/10 of a mile up the road, as well as my sister's. Of course now that my parents are gone, my brother has moved into the house. We do live on a pretty busy road, but we don't have any neighbors that we can see from our house. When we first built our house, we had been married 6 years and it was looking like we weren't going to be parents. I pretty much threw myself into my hobbies, one of which was spending a lot of time in the Home Depot garden center. Funny thing is, I didn't really research exactly how BIG the things would get that I was busy planting. In hindsight, that was obviously a BAD idea! So....after many years of neglecting to prune, I have been busy this last week doing just that. Today I tripped over a stump in our front yard natural area and did a faceplant on the ground. You know the saying, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall"? Yep, it hurt. Thankfully my wrist hit the rock and not my nose. I will be hurtin' tonight! 
This is my view for about 3 hours a week...we have a little over 5 acres,
I mow about 2 of them

This is the beginning of our first garden---we're going to try a raised bed and grow some basics:
squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, peppers, etc.

We are going to add some fruit trees to the back field, and maybe a pecan tree or two


This is where I've been working....the cedar trees were all the way to the ground,
I trimmed the bottoms of them off ---I guess I should have taken a "before" picture
so I could prove just how hard Silas and I worked!

The view from the front porch



I really didn't think these things would get this big since they were labeled "Dwarf"

Trampoline....our last addition from Nikole and Grandpa Steve at Christmas
I'm so glad that we have such a big area for the boys to get out and play, but it does take a lot of work to keep it up....for now I'm up to the task....until I get the boys trained to do it, that is!!

1 comment:

Joy for the Seasons said...

What a blessing that large piece of land is to your family! And what a blessing it will be to have your boys take over for you. :)