Our Country Kids

Our Country Kids
Our Three Blessings

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Dealing with Loss

It was a sad morning around here yesterday. Silas went outside first thing to feed his chickens and his kitten. He came inside to say that he thought maybe two of the chickens were off to lay their first eggs. I have NO idea if they are hens or roosters, I figured time will tell! Anyway, he couldn't find them anywhere, and the one he could find was acting strange. Long story short, it looks like some kind of animal must have came in the night and ambushed the little guys in their coop. Silas had not been shutting the door the last four or five nights, so they were left unprotected as they roosted for the night. That is a hard lesson for a little fella to learn. He bawled his eyes out and was so heartbroken. He even commented that it seemed like nothing has gone well since we lost Mamaw and Papaw last year. Bless his heart, I cried with him. It brought back so many memories for me of lost pets, and the tears shed over them. It is such a hard lesson to learn, but it so much a part of life. I reminded him that there is only one constant in life: God. We must look to Him for our comfort and peace when we are hurting, He is the only One who will never leave or forsake us.
The first days home....
He named them Slick, Tater, and Jumpy! Slick was what my Pop called Silas, Tater
was what my mom called him (my family is BIG on nicknames....mine is Sam!)
  and Jumpy, well he just kept trying to get out of the box they were in!


Just a few weeks ago one of them was up on the railing of our second story screened in porch!


Sparky the cat visiting them in their coop.
I always think that adopted kids can sometimes have more trouble with loss than their non-adopted peers. I'm sure some deal better than others, but I know Silas is so sensitive and such a deep thinker. Pray for him to have peace and comfort as he processes his loss!

No comments: