Our Country Kids

Our Country Kids
Our Three Blessings

Saturday, June 18, 2011

An end....and a beginning!


Yesterday was my last official shift at Food Lion, where I have worked for the last 27 years. The only job I've ever had! I started the day after I turned 16 in 1984. My birthday was on Labor Day that year, so Pop took me to get my license that next day, and I went to work that afternoon. Of course I never expected to be there that long, it just kind of happened! Scott and I met there. We were co-workers for almost a year before he asked me out. I was 17, he was almost 23. No one believed he was older, they thought the goofy boy was my age, not a freshly minted college grad! I stayed at FL through the rest of high school and 2 1/2 years of college. I was studying Graphic Arts at CPCC when we got married in Sept 1988. I wound up quitting college, and going to Full-time in January 1989. I was promoted to Customer Service Manager in 1991, and stayed in that position until yesterday. I worked at 9 different stores in the 27 years there. I've met so many people working in the public arena for so long, and I have made life-long friends there. I know that I am going to miss my Mint Hill customers the most, I was there the longest of any store, almost 13 years. I met Patti Taylor there, who wound up being the one who made the connection from Rebekah to us, leading us to our firstborn son, Silas!
I know that God has a plan in everything, and I knew the time was right to move on. After losing Mom and Pop this year, I knew it was time for me to be home with my boys. Not only am I going to be a Stay-At-Home mom, we are going to Homeschool! I have told everyone that I am just going to dive in, hook, line and sinker! Many people I have told have been very skeptical and are concerned that my boys will not be socialized enough. I promise, they will be JUST FINE! Our family is excited about this new beginning, and I have a gazillion projects I want to get done this summer before we start schooling. I am working on converting our study into our home school room, and I want to purge a lot of unnecessary stuff from the house. Scott says "Can't you just relax and enjoy retirement?".....
I'll keep you posted on that :o)

2 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

Congratulations, sweet friend! You have earned it! And yes, your boys will be JUST FINE!! :o)

Jenny said...

So excited for you and this new chapter in your life! You are such a GREAT mom and your boys are so blessed to have YOU!